- Directory Search
- A-Z of Services
- Planned Care
- Community Services - Gateshead
- Community Services - Newcastle
- Community Services - North Tyneside
- Community Services - Northumberland
- Community Services - Sunderland and South Tyneside
- Dementia Services Trustwide
- Castleside Day Unit - Community Dementia Service (Newcastle)
- Challenging Behaviour Team (Newcastle)
- Grange Day Unit - Adult Community Service (Sunderland)
- Jane Palmer Day Unit - Older Peoples Assessment, Treatment and Rehabilitation (Jarrow)
- Memory Assessment Service (Newcastle)
- Memory Assessment Service (South Tyneside)
- Memory Assessment Service (Sunderland)
- Memory Protection Service - (Sunderland)
- North Tyneside Memory Support Service
- Tyzack Ward - Challenging Behaviour Team (Monkwearmouth Hospital)
- Younger People with Dementia - Centre for the Health of the Elderly (Centre for the Health of the Elderly, Newcastle upon Tyne)
- Younger People with Dementia - Community Dementia Service (Tyzack Ward, Monkwearmouth Hospital)
- Primary Care and IAPT Trustwide
- Social and Residential Services North of Tyne, South of Tyne and Northumberland
- Specialist Care
- Urgent Care Services
Memory Protection Service - (Sunderland)
ContactTel: 0191 566 5422Fax: 0191 566 5433
Opening HoursMonday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm
The Memory Protection Service is a new dementia service for patients in South of Tyne and Wear who may be experiencing memory problems or a change of thinking ability.
The service launched on 1 April 2012 and compliments existing dementia services by improving access to early specialist treatment and diagnosis.
Current research estimates that many people who have a dementia are not diagnosed. There are understood to be a number of reasons for this including widely held beliefs that memory problems are normal in later life or that the condition is untreatable.
Detecting problems early has many benefits including swifter access to treatment, information, advice and support all of which are likely to enable a person to live well with the illness for a long period of time.
The Memory Protection Service covers 3 localities; Sunderland, South Tyneside and Gateshead and offers:
- Comprehensive assessment and diagnosis
- Support and advice to people and their families about coping with a memory difficulty
- Treatment including medication when appropriate
- Access to a range of non-pharmacological interventions such as support groups
- Access to good quality information given as a personal information pack
- Access to other services able to provide help and support
- Contact for further assessment, information, help and support as needed even after you have been discharged.
Appointments are routinely available in primary care centres but home visits will be offered to those unable to attend a clinic.
How to get referredvia GP
Download our service leaflet