North East Drive Mobility is based at Walkergate Park, Centre for Neuro-psychiatry, Newcastle upon Tyne. The service helps people to retain or regain independence as drivers and passengers. North East Drive Mobility provides independent assessment and advice to people with a medical condition, or disability, which may affect their ability to drive, or use a vehicle as a passenger.
The service is for experienced and learner drivers, or provisional licence holders who have not yet started to learn to drive. Advice and assessment is also offered to people of all ages with mobility difficulties on travelling safely in a vehicle as a passenger.
The North East Drive Mobility service offers:
- Assessment of driving ability: this takes place on our purpose-built driving track, as well as on the public highway.
- Advice on vehicle adaptations.
- Advice on getting in and out of a vehicle, and wheelchair stowage.
- Specialist driving tuition.
- Information and advice service, including advice on possible alternatives to using a car, for example, community transport services.
There is no cost for an assessment if you refer yourself, or are referred by your doctor or health professional.
How to get Referred
Via GP, Healthcare Professionals, Carers or Self referral