The Perinatal Community Mental Health Team provides a community psychiatric nursing service for women with mental health problems relating to pregnancy, childbirth and early motherhood.
The team supports women discharged from the inpatient Mother & Baby Unit and those seen by our Consultant in Wansbeck General Hospital in an outpatient clinic, as well as women living in Newcastle and North Tyneside, who are:
- up to one year postnatal and have been suffering from depression and/or anxiety or other significant mental health difficulties as a direct result of their pregnancy
- pregnant and experiencing mental health problems as a direct result of their pregancy or who have experienced mental health problems in previous pregnancies
- experiencing mental health problems which have come about as a direct result of the death of a baby or miscarriage
The service is currently delivered by Community Psychiatric Nurses with medical support from a Specialist Perinatal Consultant Psychiatrist. We are an experienced team of Psychiatric Nurses, specialising in maternal mental health. Sometimes student nurses work with the team.
The services that the Perinatal Community Mental Health Team offer are:
- Mental health assessment
- Psychological therapies e.g. supportive counselling, solution-focused therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy, practical problem solving
- Education and advice to women and their families.
How to get Referred
Via Midwife, Health Visitor, Specialist Mental Health Service and GP referral